Summer Intern Scholarship
Applicant Requirements: Deadline ends at 11:59pm Eastern on 12/1/2023
Career Stage: Medical Students
Program Type: Scholarship
Opens: September 1, 2023
Deadline: December 2, 2023
Established in 2007, the Summer Intern Scholarship in Cardiothoracic Surgery aims to introduce cardiothoracic surgery to first and second year medical students in a North American medical school during an eight-week summer placement within an AATS member's cardiothoracic surgery department. The scholarship provides $2,500 grants to recipients in order to cover living expenses during their eight weeks of training. In addition to direct support from the AATS Foundation for the internship, two recipients are eligible for the Scanlan Family Summer Intern Scholarship in the same amount. Those awarded with the Scanlan Family Scholarship will be selected by the review committee based on the merit of their applications and will receive special recognition on the Scanlan Family Scholars website.
Mentors of the the scholarship recipients will be expected to provide updates to the AATS Foundation Board of Directors on the recipients' career paths.
Candidates who would like to identify an AATS member to sponsor them for this scholarship can do so by visiting the AATS membership directory . No more than two students from a single institution may be awarded the scholarship; in the instances where two students from the same institution are selected, each must have a unique host sponsor.
- Be a first or second year medical student as of January 2023.
- Submit a letter of support provided by the host sponsor (sponsor must be a member of the AATS).
- Submit a letter of support provided by your current institution.
- Submit a one-page project outline of what the candidate hopes to accomplish during the eight weeks. The outline must not exceed one page and should specify the proposed exposure to cardiothoracic surgery to be undertaken, including an aspect of both laboratory and clinical experience.
- Narrative on your background and future goals (no more than one page).
- Complete their study in the institution of the host sponsor.
- Agree to submit a summary report and evaluation of their experience to the AATS within 60 days upon completion of internship.
-Narrative (no more than one page) on your background and future goals.
-Project outline of your 8 week plan during your internship at the host institution.
-Letter of support from your current institution-Letter of support from your AATS Mentor
Program currently closed:
Program will open September 1, 2023.