Medical Student Diversity Scholarship
Career Stage: Medical Students
Program Type: Scholarship
Opens: April 1, 2023
Deadline: July 1, 2023
This award provides up to $18,500 per year (for up to 2 years) to support medical students who are planning to pursue a career in cardiothoracic surgery and are from an underrepresented in medicine population (defined by the AAMC). Scholarship recipients will also receive up to $1,500 to attend the AATS Annual Meeting each year of support.
- Be enrolled as a medical student in the second or third year (or equivalent) in US or Canada.
- Demonstrate need for financial support.
- Be able to provide copy of current transcripts.
- Demonstrate eligibility as underrepresented in medicine (defined by the AAMC).
- Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae with a full description of their surgical experience.
- Copy of current transcripts.
- Narrative demonstrating need for financial support and eligibility for the scholarship, how this funding will support career goals, and interest in Cardiothoracic Surgery as a future career.
- Letters of support from two medical school faculty sponsors supporting their interest in Cardiothoracic Surgery as a future career.
- Attachment outlining the requested amount/duration of funding request and proposed budget, including whether funding will be supplementing tuition or living expenses.
Applications requesting $18,500 and an AATS Annual Meeting stipend of $1,500 per year (for up to two years) will be considered, as well as proposals with smaller short-term requests. For each subsequent year of funding, a progress report and request for additional funding are required prior to the end of the originally funded year. Additional funding will be made after review of the progress report.
The AATS Foundation’s Equity & Career Development Scholarship Committee will review all applications and recommend recipients to be presented to AATS Foundation Board of Directors for a final decision. Applications will be graded on all aspects of the award criteria.
Competition of Program
At the conclusion the first year of funding, a report must be submitted, highlighting all activities and the advances achieved and future plans for training. The recipient will also work closely with AATS Foundation staff to determine ways to share details with a larger audience.
Program currently closed:
Program will open April 1, 2023.