F. Griffith Pearson Fellowship
An Honoring Our Mentors Fellowship Program
Career Stage: Early Career Surgeons
Program Type: Fellowship
Opens: April 1, 2023
Deadline: July 1, 2023
The AATS Foundation F. Griffith Pearson Fellowship provides an educational experience for general thoracic surgeons who have recently completed their residency or fellowship to spend a focused period of six to eight weeks time studying clinical techniques at a host institution in North America.
The fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Foundation and provides a grant of $9,000 to successful applicants to defray the cost of their living expenses during the six to eight weeks of training.
- Completed his/her formal training in general surgery and in thoracic surgery prior to the start of the fellowship, with general thoracic surgery as their primary specialty;
- Have an academic or hospital appointment;
- Be in their first 3 years post thoracic training.
- Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae with a full description of their surgical experience.
- Letters of support from their current attending surgeon, future department chair or division chief, and host institution.
- A detailed plan outline for proposed training, including a timeline.
- One to two page narrative to include: (1) What they hope to accomplish during the Fellowship; (2) How they utilize the skills they have learned at their home institution; (3) The relationship of the planned study to the applicant's prior work, preparation and professional goals; (4) Statement of future career goals.
**Please note that any award payments made to foreign individuals may be subject to federal tax withholding of up to 30% if a recipient is traveling to the United States.
The AATS Foundation’s Thoracic Scholarship Committee will review all applications and recommend recipients to be presented to AATS Foundation Board of Directors for a final decision. Applications will be graded on all aspects of the award criteria.
Program currently closed:
Program will open April 1, 2023.