AATS Foundation Research Scholarship
Applicant Requirements: Deadline ends at 11:59pm Eastern on 12/1/2024
Career Stage: Early Career Surgeons
Program Type: Flagship Program, Research Grant
Opens: September 1, 2024
Deadline: December 2, 2024
In 1985, the AATS established a two-year research scholarship awarded annually to a North American surgeon committed to pursuing an academic career in cardiothoracic surgery. The AATS Foundation's Research Scholarship provides one early-career investigator with a two-year grant of $80,000 each year to pursue research, training and clinical experience. This program is designed as an early-career development award for young surgical scientists. Successful applicants will receive complimentary registration to an AATS Annual Meeting where the will be recognized during the AATS Foundation's Reception.
- A candidate should have completed his/her formal training in cardiothoracic surgery and be certified or in the process of obtaining certification by the appropriate Thoracic Surgery Board in the United States, Canada or international equivalent.
- Applications for the scholarship must be submitted during the candidate's first two years in an academic position at a U.S. or Canadian institution.
- Candidates must have completed their cardiothoracic residency within 3 years of application.
- Description of the proposed research, including Background, Specific Aims, Significance and Research Plan – 5 page limit.
- Description of research facilities.
- Detailed budget.
- Disclosure of other currently funded research projects and pending applications for support.
- Letter of support from Surgical Chief or Director of laboratory where research will be conducted addressing his/her endorsement of proposal and feasibility of the research proposal being carried out.*
- First most significant Publication.
- Second most significant Publication.
- One page narrative describing the relationship of the proposed research to the applicant’s career goals.
*For those looking to send letters of support for the candidate directly to the AATS Foundation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications will be subjected to a rigorous peer-review process, which will be established and overseen by the Program's Review Committee.
- The yearly stipend shall be $80,000 paid to the host institution for support of salary, research supplies, travel and other legitimate academic expenses of the scholar.
- The stipend is to be used for direct salary support and related research expenses only; it cannot be used to support indirect institutional costs.
- The Scholarship will begin July 1 of the award year and conclude on July 1 two years following. The scholar shall submit an interim and a final written report of his/her research activities to the Board of the Foundation.
- After completion of research, investigators will be required to submit a final report of their research activities and findings to the AATS Foundation Board.
- All publications emanating from the research must include acknowledgement of the award.
Successful grant recipients will be required to provide a mid-term progress report outlining their progress to date prior to receiving their second year of support, the following may be used as a guide:
Suggestions and Guidelines for Interim Progress Report
- Briefly list the specific aims of the project.
- Indicate what you expected to have done at this point in the project cycle.
- Describe the barriers to progress to-date.
- Update your project plans for the second year.
- Indicate how you expect to continue or complete this research project.
- Describe plans to submit a manuscript/grant proposal or some other tangible mark of progress in the coming months.
- If available, submit any tables, figures or graphics from a report or paper you are working on.
- Feel free to add any additional information that will support a second year of funding.
All applicants will be notified with an official letter from the AATS Foundation within 2-3 months of the program deadline. Should you have any questions regarding your status prior to receiving this notification, please contact email@example.com.
Program currently closed:
Program will open September 1, 2024.