AATS Foundation Gardner Lectureship
An Honoring Our Mentors Program
Applicant Requirements: Deadline ends at 11:59pm Eastern on 7/2/2023
Career Stage: Early Career Surgeons, Mid-Career Surgeons
Program Type: Lectureship
Opens: April 1, 2023
Deadline: July 3, 2023
The AATS Foundation Gardner Lectureship has been established by mentees, colleagues, and friends of Dr. Gardner to honor his career as a nationally-recognized cardiac surgeon and leader in cardiovascular medicine. This lectureship will bring a prominent AATS member lecturer to an ACGME-approved cardiothoracic surgery residency institution. Sponsored and administered by the AATS Foundation, the lectureship provides an annual award of up to $10,000 to an institution with specific educational needs.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this award:
- Application must be completed by Chair or Program Director of the cardiothoracic surgery residency program;
- The Chair or Program Director must illustrate the current educational needs of the residency, as well as outline the desired outcomes the lecturer could bring to the institution (one paragraph);
- Requested lecturer must be a current AATS member and a request must be made to them ahead of the application submission to ensure their ability to participate.
In addition to an online application, candidates will be required to submit the following information and materials:
- Anticipated arrival and departure dates of visiting lecturer;
- Other visiting lectureships available at your institution;
- Name of requested lecturer and lecturer’s institution;
- A letter describing why your institution should be selected and how it would benefit from the proposed visiting lecturer;
- A proposed budget explaining how the funding will be used;
- Each institution may have different programmatic cost breakdowns, however the following guideline can be used to outline proposed costs:
A proposed schedule using the following recommendations:
- Day 1: Lecturer will attend a group dinner with Fellows.
- Day 2 (morning): Lecture is given (topic must be related to cardiac surgery and/or thoracic surgical education).
- Day 2 (afternoon/evening): Fellows attend Lecturer-lead hospital teaching rounds.
Upon conclusion of the lectureship, the institution must submit a final report to the AATS Foundation to include the following information:
- A letter illustrating impressions of the visit;
- Photographs of lecturer and residents or staff;
- Video of lecture (if possible);
- Suggestions for improving the award and/or the administrative process (if any);
- An expense report totaling all costs associated with the lectureship. Any remaining funding that is not used must be returned to the AATS Foundation.
All applicants will be notified with an official letter from the AATS Foundation within 2-3 months of the program deadline. Should you have any questions regarding your status prior to receiving this notification, please contact email@example.com.
Program past deadline:
Deadline has passed for applying for this program.