AATS Foundation Lawrence H. Cohn Lectureship
An Honoring Our Mentors Program
Applicant Requirements: Deadline ends at 11:59pm Eastern on 12/1/2023
Program Type: Lectureship
Opens: September 1, 2023
Deadline: December 2, 2023
Supported by the Honoring our Mentors Lawrence H. Cohn Fund, the AATS Foundation Lawrence H. Cohn Lectureship awards $10,000 to an ACGME-approved cardiothoracic residency program with a specific educational need in order to provide honorarium to a prestigious AATS lecturer for their participation in an impactful presentation. This lectureship was established to honor internationally renowned cardiac surgeon, Dr. Lawrence H. Cohn, 79th President of the AATS.
- Application must be completed by Chair or Program Director of the cardiothoracic surgery residency program.
- The Chair or Program Director must illustrate the current educational needs of the residency, as well as outline the desired outcomes the presentation could bring to the institution (one paragraph).
- Requested lecturer must be a current AATS member and a request must be made to them ahead of the application submission to ensure their ability to participate if selected.
While all ACGME-accredited residency programs are eligible to apply for this support, preference will be given to AATS Foundation donors, specifically Founding and Benefactor Members of the Lawrence H. Cohn Honoring Our Mentors Fund.
- Name of requested lecturer and lecturer’s institution.
- A letter describing why your institution should be selected and how it would benefit from the proposed lecturer.
- The topic of the presentation and how this will meet an educational need within your institution's program.
- Details on department's ability to host the lectureship and how the lecture would be presented to your cardiothoracic surgery residents.
- A proposed budget explaining how the funding will be used.
- A proposed agenda for the lecture, including time for participants to ask the presenter questions and possibly discuss cases. Proposed schedule to include the following recommendations:
- 30 minutes: Lecturer will meet (either on zoom or via conference call) with leaders of the department to understand the needs and objectives of the department.
- 1 hour: Lecture is given on pre-determined topic outlined in letter.
- 1 hour: Lecturer to interact and participate in Q&A with attendees along with commenting on case videos.
Upon conclusion of the lectureship, the institution must submit a final report to the AATS Foundation to include the following information:
- A letter illustrating impressions of the presentation and an overview of participation.
- Recording of lecture in MP4 file format.
All applicants will be notified with an official letter from the AATS Foundation within 2-3 months of the program deadline. Should you have any questions regarding your status prior to receiving this notification, please contact email@example.com.