Marc R. de Leval Fellowship
An "Honoring Our Mentors" Fellowship Program
To provide opportunities for North American trainees and early career congenital heart surgeons to obtain an international surgical experience as part of their education. Currently there are only limited funding opportunities available to facilitate North American surgeons to receive specified training at international centers in congenital heart surgery.
The AATS Foundation Marc R. de Leval Fellowship is for North American cardiothoracic and thoracic surgeons who have recently completed a congenital heart surgery fellowship. It gives them the opportunity to spend four to six weeks studying congenital heart surgery clinical techniques at an institution in UK/Europe and develop relationships with international congenital heart surgeons. Applicants must have secured an institutional assignment and signify the training period within their application.
The fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Foundation and provides an award of $5,500 to one recipient each year to defray travel and living expenses while abroad. Additionally, recipients will be strongly encouraged to attend the AATS Annual Meeting; those who attend will receive complimentary registration at our skills and post graduate courses on Saturday or Sunday.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for consideration:
- Have completed his/her formal congenital heart surgery fellowship.
- Be in the first five (5) years of his/her congenital heart surgery training.
- Secured a UK/European institutional assignment and set a date for his/her training.
- Travel Requirement: Candidate must meet all necessary criteria (license, visa, etc…) for travel to and from host training site.
In addition to a formal online application, candidates will also be required to upload the following materials:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of endorsement from his/her current attending surgeon and future department chair/division chief.
- Letter of support from the chief at the institution they plan to visit which concurs with the plan of study.
- Travel itinerary and lodging arrangements while at host training site.
- One to two page narrative to include: (1) what they hope to accomplish during their fellowship at the host institution; (2) how they will utilize the skills they have learned at their home institution; (3) relationship of the planned study to the applicant’s prior experience, preparation and professional goals; and, (4) statement of future career goals.
AATS Foundation’s Review Committee will review all application and notify candidates of final decision by early March. Applications will be graded on all aspects of the award criteria.
One Fellow per year will be awarded $5,500 to offset travel and living expenses incurred at the host institution.
At the conclusion of the fellowship a final report is required for submission to the Foundation and the Marc R. de Leval Fellowship program founders.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2018