F. Griffith Pearson Fellowship
An “Honoring Our Mentors” Fellowship Program
To enable surgeons who have recently completed their residency the opportunity for continued development of their general thoracic surgical proficiency.
The AATS Foundation F. Griffith Pearson Fellowship provides an educational experience for General Thoracic surgeons who have recently completed their residency or fellowship to spend a focused period of six to eight weeks time studying clinical techniques at a host institution in North America.
The fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Foundation and provides a grant of $9,000 to successful applicants to defray the cost of their living expenses during the six to eight weeks of training.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A candidate should have completed his/her formal training in general surgery and in thoracic surgery prior to the start of the fellowship, with general thoracic surgery as their primary specialty
- Candidates must have an academic or hospital appointment.
- Candidates must be in their first 3 years post thoracic training.
The deadline to submit applications for the Fellowship will be December 1, 2018 with applicants being notified of the final decision no later than January 15, 2019. In addition to a formal online application, candidates will be required to upload the following materials:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of support from their current attending surgeon, future department chair or division chief, and host institution.
- A detailed plan outline for proposed training, including with a timeline.
- One to two page narrative to include: (1) what they hope to accomplish during the Fellowship; (2) how they utilize the skills they have learned at their home institution; (3) the relationship of the planned study to the applicant's prior work, preparation and professional goals; and, (4) statement of future career goals.
Applications will be reviewed by an AATS Foundation’s Fellowship Review Committee. In reviewing applications the Committee will look at all aspects of the award criteria with special emphasis on the uploaded documents.
|The application deadline has passed.