Denton A. Cooley Fellowship
An “Honoring Our Mentors” Fellowship Program
To provide an educational experience for North American cardiothoracic (CT) surgeons who are in their final year of their residency or have recently completed their residency to spend four weeks studying at the Texas Heart Institute (THI) and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center (BSLMC).
The fellowship is funded and administered by the AATS Graham Foundation and provides an award of $5,000 to one recipient each year to defray travel and living expenses. Additionally, recipients will be strongly encouraged to attend the AATS Annual Meeting; those who attend will receive complimentary registration at our skills and post graduate courses on Saturday and Sunday.
This educational observership will include the following opportunities:
Texas Heart Institute, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
- Dr. Jennifer Cozart
- Dr. Mike Duncan
- Dr. O.H. Frazier
- Dr. Charles Hallman
- Dr. James Livesay
- Dr. David Ott
- Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dr. Joseph Coselli, Chief
- Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Dr. David Sugarbaker, Chief
- Division of Cardiac Transplantation, Dr. Jeffrey Morgan, Chief
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for consideration:
- Must be in final year of thoracic surgery residency or have completed his/her residency within the past two years.
- Have the proper physician-in-training permit or medical license
- Must meet all necessary liability and health coverage applicable to the four week period at THI/BSLMC.
The deadline to submit an application for the Fellowship will be March 31st.
In addition to a formal online application, candidates will also be required to upload the following materials:
Review Process/ Award Funding
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from his/her current attending surgeon or future department chair/division chief.
- One to two page narrative to include: (1) what they hope to accomplish during their fellowship at the host institution; (2) how they will utilize the skills they have learned at their home institution; (3) relationship of the planned study to the applicant’s prior experience, preparation and professional goals; and, (4) statement of future career goals.
AATS Graham Foundation’s Fellowship Review Committee will review all application and notify candidates of final decision within 45 days of application deadline. Applications will be graded on all aspects of the award criteria.
- One Fellow per year will be awarded $5,000 to offset travel and living expenses incurred at the host institution.
- At the conclusion of the fellowship a final report is required for submission to the Foundation and the Denton A. Cooley Fellowship program founders.
Deadline Has Passed.