Cleveland Clinic Mentors Program
An "Honoring Our Mentors" Fellowship Program
Today’s cardiac and thoracic surgeons require education and training to support clinical innovations which improves patient care. Young surgeons must keep up with not only the pace of innovative cardiothoracic surgical education and its ever growing knowledge base, complete with new and evolving technology solutions, requiring that they learn and adapt but also need the tools necessary to negotiate for and obtain appropriate positions in their career.
Established models of education must be supplemented with expanded educational collaboration, training and research solutions so that well trained surgeons within the specialty of cardiothoracic surgery can be developed.
The AATS Foundation Honoring Our Mentors Program honors those who have significantly contributed to the cardiothoracic surgical specialty. The establishing donors wish to propose development of a fund to honor three past members of the Cleveland Clinic staff who have also served as Presidents of the AATS: Delos M. Cosgrove, MD, Floyd D. Loop, MD and Bruce W. Lytle, MD.
The AATS Foundation Honoring Our Cleveland Clinic Mentors Program is for cardiac surgeons from North America going into their second year of residency training in Cardiothoracic Surgery to participate in a full day program at the Cleveland Clinic on September 17, 2019 to obtain a basic understanding of the steps necessary to secure their first full time position following completion of their training program, developing areas of expertise, and beginning their careers in an academic program. Attendees are also welcome, but not obligated, to attend an evening reception preceding the course and a Grand Rounds Presentation/OR Observation following the course.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for consideration:
- Current Status: A candidate must have completed first year of formal training in cardiac surgery and going into second year of an accredited program in North America
- Language Requirement: Fluency in English is Mandatory.
- Travel Requirement: Candidate must meet all necessary criteria for travel to and from host training site.
In addition to a formal online application, candidates will also be required to upload the following materials:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of support from his/her current CT Surgery Chairman or Program Director that time to attend the program will be granted.
- One page narrative to include: (1) what applicant hopes to accomplish during stay at Cleveland Clinic; (2) how he/she will utilize the skills learned at their home institution; and, (3) statement of future career goals.
Deadline: July 1st, 2019